Manhappenin' magazine

The Student News Site of Kansas State University

Manhappenin' magazine

Manhappenin' magazine

Galentines Day
Galentine's Day
April 8, 2024
design by MADISON COULTER
Budget 'Til You Drop
April 8, 2024
design by JOSCELYNE ESPINOZA
Birthday Themes
April 8, 2024
Designed by Laura Armbruster
Slow Living
March 19, 2024

Galentine’s Day

Galentines+Day
Whittney Hammeke

As Valentine’s Day approaches, many college students find themselves surrounded, and sometimes overwhelmed, by a sea of heart-shaped chocolates and romantic gestures. But within recent years a new trend has risen to popularity that celebrates a different kind of love – friendship. 

Using a play on words, the term Galentine’s Day was coined back in 2010 by Leslie Knope from “Parks and Recreation.” Merriam-Webster defines the term as a holiday observed on February 13th as a time to celebrate friendships, especially among women.

Now that we’ve defined the term and gone over the explanation as to why Galentine’s  is celebrated, you may think to yourself, “This sounds like a great idea, I would love to take part in celebrating!” I encourage you to join in on the festivities, but a challenge you may run into as a college student is trying to find affordable activities and ideas to celebrate the day. This article delves into some affordable options to make your Galentine’s Day unforgettable:

• Potluck Dinner: Host a potluck dinner where everyone brings their favorite dish to share. Not only does this spread the cost among friends, but it also allows you to try a variety of delicious foods. You can spice it up by adding cute but affordable decorations such as streamers and paper plates, too!
  • DIY Craft Night: Get creative with a DIY craft night. You can make friendship bracelets, paint pottery, and more. Use the link below to see more options: https://popshopamerica.com/blog/the-9-best-galentines-day-crafts-to-celebrate-your-friendship/
  • Movie Marathon: Have a movie marathon featuring all your favorite chick flicks. Add in some cute cocktails (or mocktails, if you’re underage) and some popcorn and settle in.
  • Galentine’s Photoshoot: Dressing up and creating a DIY backdrop for a Galentine’s Day photoshoot adds a personalized touch, giving you the chance to make unforgettable memories and celebrate friendship in style. For some extra fun, choose a theme for the photoshoot!

Whether you’re single, in a relationship, or somewhere in between, remember that this time applies to everyone. Celebrating Galentine’s Day is a reminder that love comes in many forms, and our friendships deserve just as much recognition as any romantic relationship. Happy Galentine’s Day!

photos by WHITTNEY HAMMEKE